Odontotos rack railway (Οδοντωτός)
About 120 years ago Odontotos rack railway started from the seaside town of Diakopto parallel to the river and climbed to Kalavrita through bridges and tunnels. Since then the Vouraikos river and Odontotos go together.
Cave of Lakes
The Cave of Lakes, formerly called Troupissio, is located at an absolute height of 827 m at a distance of 17 km from Kalavryta and 9 km from Kleitoria. The Cave of Lakes presents paleontological and biospilaiological interest as the lower floor of the cave were found fossilized human bones and various animals including hippopotamus.
Agia Lavra (“Holy Lavra”) is a monastery near Kalavryta. It was built in 961 AD, on Chelmos Mountain, at an altitude of 961 meters, and can be described as the symbolic birthplace of modern Greece. It stands as one of the oldest monasteries in the Peloponnese.
It is famously linked with the Greek War of Independence, since it was here that the call for Eleftheria I Thanatos was first heard on 25 March 1821, launching the revolution against the Ottoman Empire. That day, Bishop Germanos of Patras performed a doxology and administered an oath to the Peloponnesian fighters. The revolutionary flag was raised by Bishop under the plane tree just outside the gate of the monastery.
Great Cave Monastery
The monastery is located in a large cave in a sheer cliff, where the western slopes of Mount Chelmos drop down to the gorge of the Vouraikos river, some 11 kilometres northwest of the town of Kalavryta. The cave was known in antiquity, and the geographer Pausanias reports that the daughters of Proetus found refuge there during their madness. In the first Christian centuries, Christian hermits occupied the cave.
Place of Sacrifice of Kalavryta
The Massacre of Kalavryta, or the Holocaust of Kalavryta, refers to the near-extermination of the male population and the total destruction of the town of Kalavryta, Greece, by the 117th Jäger Division (Wehrmacht) during World War II, on 13 December 1943.
Municipal Museum of Kalavritan Holocaust
In this symbolic building residents of Kalavryta city experienced and suffered the brutality of the Nazi atrocities.
Diakofto is a small seaside town with a magnificent view of the Corinthian Gulf. Diakofto belongs to the wider area of Aigialeia. During the ancient times around Diakofto there were three ancient cities of great importance: Ancient Voura, Ancient Helike and Ancient Keryneia.
Egkalia beach is a sandy beach of Diakofto surrounded by trees. Above the beach there are many beach bars offering umbrellas with sun beds.
About 5km west of Diakofto you could swim at Elaionas beach. The beach is covered by sand and pebbles and is one of the most beautiful in the area. It is organized with umbrellas, sun beds, a playground and a beach volley. Across the seaside street you will find traditional taverns and popular café-bars.
Pounta beach (or Trapeza beach) is probably the best beach in the Corinthian Gulf. It is a long beach close to Diakofto. It is covered with large white pebbles and is known for its crystal clear water. Close to the beach you will find a beach bar and a few taverns.